China cosmetic registration - Overview
Being the largest economy in Asia, it is no wonder that China is an attractive destination for cosmetic manufacturers. With a high rate of consumption and an ever-increasing consumer base, the Chinese cosmetic market experiences steady growth.
Cosmetic product notification and cosmetic product registration in China are regulated under the Cosmetics Supervision and Administration Regulations (CSAR) and subordinate rules and measures for detailed operations.
Imported cosmetics are regulated by two (02) competent Regulatory authorities in China:
- National Medical Products Administration (NMPA) under the State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR).
- General Administration of Customs (GAC).
Cosmetic Product Classification
Under the current CSAR China, cosmetics are classified into two (02) categories:
1. Special Cosmetics
- Hair dyes.
- Hair perming products.
- Freckle-removing (whitening) products.
- Anti-hair loss products.
- Cosmetics with new efficacy.
2. General Cosmetics
Other cosmetics, except those classified under special cosmetics, are categorized as general cosmetics in China. Makeup products, fragrances, moisturizers, and hair conditioning products are some examples of general cosmetics.
Cosmetic Product Registration in China
As per China cosmetic regulations, notification is required for general cosmetics, whereas registration is required for special cosmetics. The process involves crucial steps like product testing and dossier submission, along with NMPA review and approval.
The registration for special cosmetic products is valid for five (05) years. For renewal of registration for special cosmetics, an application shall be filed within 30-90 working days before expiration and a commitment should be made to comply with the national standards and technical specifications.
For general/ordinary cosmetics, the validity of notification is not specified unlike registration in China. However, an annual report submission is required, through which the brand owner should demonstrate that the general cosmetic product is compliant with all applicable laws and regulations.
Local Representation in China
According to Chinese regulations, the brand owner of cosmetic products should authorize a Responsible Agent in China (RAC) for the registration/notification of imported cosmetics and ingredients. The RAC should register the account on NMPA’s online system and handle registration/notification on behalf of brand owners.
A brand owner can authorize only a single company as RAC for one cosmetic product/one cosmetic new ingredient. The RAC should have a well-established Quality Management System (QMS) for cosmetic registration/cosmetic notification, including the capability for monitoring adverse reactions to cosmetic products and their evaluation and handling supervision and administration by the competent authority.
As a leading global Regulatory partner, Freyr has extensive experience in offering cosmetics Regulatory services in China. Our team of Regulatory experts assists manufacturers in decoding the China cosmetics registration process and ensures end-to-end compliance in the Chinese cosmetic market and provides all types of Cosmetics regulatory services in China.
China cosmetic registration - Freyr Expertise
- Product classification.
- Cosmetics ingredient review
- Cosmetic product formulation review
- Cosmetic claims review.
- Label review as per cosmetic labeling regulations.
- Dossier compilation
- Cosmetics notification/cosmetics registration in China with the CSAR.
- Responsible Person (RP) Services
- Regulatory Intelligence (RI) Services.
- Ad-hoc Regulatory consultation services
- Cosmetic product safety assessment services for non-special cosmetics.
China cosmetic registration - Freyr Advantage
- End-to-end cosmetic Regulatory consultation.
- Assistance in cosmetic product registration in China.
- Extensive partner network across the globe.
- A qualified team of experts with hands-on experience in skincare, haircare, infant care, oral care, beauty products, etc.
- A strong relationship with the Health Authority.
- Ensure compliance for formulation review, label review, and claims review.
- A structured and cost-effective approach for an agile market entry for cosmetics.