Being the largest economy of Asia, it is no wonder that China is an attractive destination for cosmetic manufacturers. With a high rate of consumption and an ever-increasing consumer base, the Chinese cosmetic market experiences steady growth.
Cosmetic product registration and Notification in China is regulated under the Cosmetic Supervision and Administration Regulation (CSAR) and subordinate rules and measures for detail operations.
Imported Cosmetics are regulated by two (02) competent Regulatory authorities in China:
- National Medical Products Administration (NMPA) under the State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR)
- General Administration of Customs (GAC)
Cosmetic Product Classification
Under the current CSAR, cosmetics in China are classified into two (02) categories - Special cosmetics and General cosmetics (Non-Special Cosmetics).
- Hair dyes
- Hair perming products
- Freckle-removing (whitening) products
- Anti-hair loss products
- Cosmetics with new efficacy
- Other cosmetics except those classified under special cosmetics are categorized as General Cosmetics in China. Makeup products, Fragrances, Moisturizers, and Hair Conditioning products are some examples of General Cosmetics.
Cosmetic Product Registration in China
In China, Notification is required for General Cosmetics whereas Registration is required for Special Cosmetics. The process involves crucial steps like product testing and dossier submission along with NMPA review and approval.
The Registration for Special cosmetic products is valid for 5 years. For renewal of registration for Special Cosmetics, an application shall be filed within 30 -90 working days before expiration and a commitment should be made to comply with the national standards and technical specifications.
For General/Ordinary cosmetics the validity of notification is not specified, however, an annual report submission is required, through which the brand owner should demonstrate that the General Cosmetic product is compliant with all applicable laws and regulations.
Local Representation in China
According to Chinese Regulations, the brand owner of Cosmetic products should authorize a Responsible Agent in China (RAC) for registration/notification of imported cosmetics and ingredients. The RAC should register the account on NMPA’s online system and handles registration/notification on behalf of brand owners.
A brand owner can authorize only a single company as RAC for one cosmetic product/one cosmetic new ingredient. The RAC should have a well-established quality management system for registration/notification, including capability for monitoring adverse reactions of Cosmetic products and their evaluation and handling supervision and administration of the competent authority.
As a leading global Regulatory partner, Freyr has extensive experience in providing Cosmetic Regulatory services in China. Our team of Regulatory experts assists manufacturers in decoding the China cosmetics registration process and ensure end-to-end compliance in the Chinese Cosmetic market.
- Formulation Review and Product Classification
- Safety Assessment and Toxicology Services
- Labeling Review
- Claims Review
- Product Information File /Dossier/Document Compilation
- Regulatory Intelligence
- Region Specific Requirements Compliance/Consulting
- Go-to-market Regulatory Support
- End-to-end cosmetic Regulatory consultation
- Extensive partner network across the globe
- Qualified team of experts with hands-on experience in skincare, haircare, infant care, oral care, beauty products, etc.
- A strong relationship with the health authority
- Ensure compliance for formulation review, label review, and claims review
- A structured and cost-effective approach for an agile market entry for cosmetics