In China, food products are regulated under the State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR). There is a shared responsibility by state, provincial, municipal, and county-level authorities. Any new food additives, novel food ingredients, and new food contact materials that are not used/consumed in China should get National Health Commission (NHC) approval and get published before being used. For imported foods, they also need to follow the regulations set by the GACC.
Food product Classification
The classification of food products in China is divided into general food and special food. Special food includes health food and food for special dietary use. Food for special dietary use is categorized as infant and follow-up formula, Food for Special Medical Purpose (FSMP), and other food for special dietary use. Health food is categorized as functional food (24 approved functions) and nutrition supplements.
Food product Registration And Notification
Registration is required for infant and follow-up formula, FSMP, and functional food, whereas notification is required for nutrition supplements before the import.
The Registration certificate is valid for five (05) years. Application for renewal should be submitted six (06) months before the expiry date. Otherwise, the certificate may be expired before approval of renewal.
Freyr’s experts can provide Regulatory services in China for any kind of food products, such as China food product classification, formulation/ingredient assessment, label & claims review, technical dossier compilation, and submissions to the Health Authorities.
- Product Classification Services
- Formulation Review or Ingredients assessment
- Safety Assessment and Toxicology Assessment Services
- Labeling Review Services
- Claims Review Services
- Claims Consultation and Substantiation Services
- Gap Analysis and Dossier Compilation Services
- Regulatory Intelligence Services
- Region-Specific Requirements Compliance / Consulting Services
- Go-to-market Regulatory Support Services
- Product Notification or Registration Support Services